Recipe: Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon
This vegan twist on the classic French dish of beef bourguignon features tender button mushrooms, hearty vegetables, and a rich, flavourful sauce made with organic red wine. This vegan Mushroom Bourguignon is a hearty and comforting meal that's perfect for a cozy night in. The combination of vegetables, spices, and red wine creates a depth of flavour that will have your taste buds dancing. This dish is easy to prepare, and it's sure to impress your guests with its delicious taste and meat-free twist.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegan red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add the vegan red wine and tomato paste, stirring well to combine. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir well. Bring the mixture to a simmer again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water until fully combined. Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Reduce the heat and let the mushroom bourguignon simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
This vegan mushroom bourguignon is a hearty and flavourful dish that is perfect for a comforting meal. The use of vegan red wine gives this dish an added depth of flavour.